Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Grandpa's Favorite Ozark Apple Cake

My maternal grandfather was from a family of Ozark hillbilly's. Everyday he ate an apple and I can still see him sitting there slicing one with his pocket knife. My Granny was an excellent cook and this is one of her recipes. It's also one of my favorites and always makes me think of them when I prepare it.

Grandpa's Favorite Ozark Apple Cake

2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. nutmeg
4 cups apples, peeled and chopped
1 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon

Cream together sugar and shortening; add eggs and vanilla. Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon. Add to creamed mixture. Add apples and nuts, mix. Place in a greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment